# 19th Open Science Göttingen Meet-up on 21 June 2021
## Open Science & Services in a Nutshell @ Göttingen Campus
Venue: Video conference - Main room: https://meet.gwdg.de/b/jul-hnd-nk7
Date: Monday, 21 June 2021
Hour: 13.00-16.30 o’clock
Archive of presentations & materials: https://owncloud.gwdg.de/index.php/s/Z6qmhAv8ypUQCOv
Back to master pad: https://pad.gwdg.de/OpenScienceGoe
The Open Science Göttingen Meet-up brings together enthusiastic researchers and librarians which aim to promote Open Science principles in the scientific community in Göttingen. This year we participate in the “Digitaltag 2021” (https://digitaltag.eu/).
Making Open Science work has many facets - some will be pretty straightforward while others may be less easy to implement and lead to questions (e.g. how to cover publication costs, how do I meet the Open Access requirements of my grant, how to publish a dissertation).
Thus, in this session we would like to cover a broad range of practical questions related to implementing Open Access and Open Data, and discuss how services and support available at Göttingen Campus (and beyond) that can help to address them. Services and support aim at making your life a little easier.
Join us and let's explore together, come as you are: it's question time!
* Feel free to join us for a particular topic, according to the time slots in the agenda below.
* The event will not be recorded but all presentations will be made openly available.
13.00 - 13.20 Welcome & round of introductions
**From use cases to services (talks + discussion)**
13.20 - 14.00 Session 1: Publishing in Open Access - Julika Mimkes and Sabine Witt
14.00 - 14.40 Session 2: Open Access in the Humanities - Margo Bargheer
**14.40 - 15.00 Break**
15.00 - 15.40 Session 3: Visibility for your work through open profiles - Daniel Beucke
15.40 - 16.20 Session 4: Research data management - Péter Kiraly
16.20 - 16.30 Reports & planning
### Publishing in Open Access (green & gold)
***Question***: As a researcher, I want to publish in the gold open access journal X. How can I fund my publication costs (article processing charges, APC)?
* Use case: How to cover publication costs, https://pad.gwdg.de/s/OAexamples#Publication-fund
* UGOE's [Publication Fund](https://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/elektronisches-publizieren/open-access/open-access-publikationsfonds/) can provide support: Publication costs of articles in Gold Open Access journals are covered by the Publication Fund if no project funds are available.
***Question***: As a researcher, I want to publish in a Springer journal. What do I need to know?
* Use case: Read & publish agreements https://pad.gwdg.de/s/OAexamples#Read-and-publish
* Read & Publish contracts are currently in place with [Springer Nature](https://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/en/publishing-open-access/open-access/publishing-agreements/springer-nature/), [Wiley](https://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/en/publishing-open-access/open-access/publishing-agreements/wiley/), the [Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC)](https://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/en/publishing-open-access/open-access/publishing-agreements/royal-society-of-chemistry-rsc/) and the [American Institute of Physics (AIP)](https://publishing.aip.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/AIPP-RP-GuideForAuthors_FINAL.pdf). We also participate in [SCOAP3](https://scoap3.org/) for high energy physics.
***Question***: As a researcher, I am funded by the European Commmission. I want to publish in journal Y - how do I comply with the OA requirements?
Closed access and green OA + data (re3data / GRO.data) [reformulate into a question]
* Use case: https://pad.gwdg.de/s/OAexamples#Shall-I-pay-for-an-Open-Access-article-in-a-hybrid-Open-Access-journal
(-> continue below with more detailed use cases on publishing data)
* The repository [GoeScholar](https://goedoc.uni-goettingen.de/) is the institutional repository of the University of Göttingen.
***Question***: I am about to finish my dissertation, how can I publish my work online and what are the requirements?
* Dissertations can published online via [eDiss](https://ediss.uni-goettingen.de/).
***Question***: I am writing a book and would like it to be open access. How can I do it? Will it also be avaible made via Google Books, how and what does this mean?
* [Göttingen University Press](https://www.univerlag.uni-goettingen.de/?locale-attribute=en) publishes books in Open Access online and as a printed book.
### Visibility of research results
***Question***: As a researcher, I would like to share a paper with colleagues via Academia / Research Gate / (Google Scholar), how do I check if this is allowed?
* researcher profile via ORCID
* [GRO.publications](https://publications.goettingen-research-online.de/) lists publications of scientists from Göttingen. Your personal publication lists can easily be integrated into your home page with a snippet.
### Data management
***Question***: My project is funded by the European Commission, how can I comply with the requirements related to research data?
* [GRO.data](https://data.goettingen-research-online.de/) is the Göttingen repository for research data.
* GRO.plan for creating a data management plan
### Sharing preprints
***Question***: When I submitted a paper the publisher asked me if I also wanted to make it available as a preprint, shall I accept this offer?
***Question***: How about the humanities, where can I share my preprint or final author version, and is it allowed? How about books and book chapters?
### Community building
***Question:*** I just started a new postdoc job in Göttingen and found your HackyHour group while browsing around. It looks great! Are you still active there and is something planned soon? My background is in data analytics and I'm interested in getting involved with digital & society. Is it possible to check it out without any obligation?
* Use case: https://pad.gwdg.de/s/OAexamples#Exchange-in-the-field-of-data-analysis
* Early career researchers, librarians and other people from the Göttingen campus meet 4 times a year at the [Göttingen Open Science Meetups](https://pad.gwdg.de/s/OpenScienceGOE#) to discuss Open Science topics.
* Digital tools for science are briefly presented and discussed in the [Hacky Hour](https://hackyhour.github.io/Goettingen/).
* Carpentries @ Göttingen Campus
* Fortney, K., & Gonder, J. (2015, December 1). A social networking site is not an open access repository. University of California, Office of Scholarly Communication. https://osc.universityofcalifornia.edu/2015/12/a-social-networking-site-is-not-an-open-access-repository/